Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Little Devil (Crochet) + Book Review

E and her friends (becoming my friends) have a weekly knitting group, Knit at Night, and during the past knitting group session, I crocheted this little devil from Creepy Cute. This fellow seems super-appropriate for Halloween. He's supposed to be done with terra cotta colored yarn, but since I didn't have that I went for green (better than a variegated devil!).

He might go sit in the store window at E's yarn shop, but today he went to work with me so my co-workers could see. I'm rather fond of him, especially since I embroidered the face--something I've never actually be taught to do--but easier (in my mind) than sewing felt onto his face for his little triangle mouth, nose/mustache, and eyes. Name suggestions, anyone?

The most confusing part of this pattern -- the cape. I'm still not sure I did it right. Alas. If that's my biggest issue, that's not too bad. And it's not the fault of the author--the book is complete with a little illustrated pattern about how the crocheted cape (not to mention everything else) should look. The pictures, in addition to the pattern, make this a very user-friendly book and for that reason alone, I'd recommend it to people who are looking to crochet small toys, beginning crocheters or advanced. For this book, you mostly need to know:

SC - single crochet
Sl st - slip stitch
Dec - decrease
Inc - increase

My devil also used double and treble crochet, but if you've got those four above, you can make almost any pattern in the book. Perfect for quick (if you're an experienced crocheter) Halloween decorations, or a nice starter with manageable projects for someone who is newer.

Other creepy cute critters include:

Medusa
Corporate Zombie
Cthulhu
Grim Reaper
Ninja

and much more. If you click the link above, you can look at the table of contents on Amazon.




As for me, Medusa is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment