Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Mulberries Galore! (Part 2 - Gluten-Free Mulberry Scones)


Lime-Mulberry Scones, Gluten-Free
Once I made my mulberry jam (and knowing I'd make more with the mulberries Annie, Brenna, and a few other friends picked with me Thursday afternoon), I wanted to get to the important part -- using up my jam! I had company over and thought scones would be a nice morning surprise (and, I've been wanting to make these scones gluten-free ever since I discovered the recipe).

While my guest slept, I got up, walked my dog, and made these gluten-free scones. The original recipe comes from Joy the Baker, but I've modified it to be gluten-free and more like the scones I used to get from my favorite restaurant in town -- scones that have a lovely fruit filling, and a glaze. If you're new to gluten-free baking, these scones are pretty easy to make, since I relied on Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose flour. If you use a different gluten-free flour mix, check first to see if you need to add xantham gum.


Lime & Mulberry Buttermilk Scones (gluten-free)

makes four large or six small scones
1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons xantham gum
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons lime zest
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold buttermilk
Mulberry jam
Powdered sugar (approximately ¼ cup)
Lime juice (enough to make a thick glaze)
Place rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, xantham gum, sugar, lime zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. In another bowl, combine egg yolk and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough.
Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead about 15 times. Roll or pat out into a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into 8 large or 12 small squares. On half the squares, spread a thin amount of mulberry jam (amount will depend on the size square you’re using and how much jam you want. I make small squares and use about 1-2 tablespoons jam). Place the remaining, squares on top to make a “sandwich.” Place scones on prepared baking sheet. and bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.  
While the scones are baking, create a thick glaze by combining powdered sugar with just enough lime juice that you can create a thick paste. Once the scones have come out of the oven and cooled about 5 minutes, spread the glaze over the top of the scones.


No comments:

Post a Comment